Thursday 11 April 2013

Preparation is key

A key lesson I learned a few years ago was put into practice the past couple of days, and it's paid off.

When I started working in radio, I quickly learned that preparation is key to success.  Being in the news department throughout my entire time at LIFE, I realized that making sure I was well prepared for press conferences, interviews, and of course, newscasts, all helped to make the newscasts sound great.

Transitioning to being a jock, it's the same deal.  A lot of people think that you just jump on the radio and start talking - just have fun!  And yes, while you do have fun, a lot of work goes into it before you even turn on the mic.  If you want your show to sound great, you plan it out - know what you're saying and when, and know where you're going when you say it.  The more prepared, the better.

The past two days I've jumped in to do The Wonderdog Show.  It's been fun!  A learning experience as it's different than the other shows I've done so far, but fun.  But I think part of the fun has been the fact that I've put the above lesson into practice - I've made sure that I'm prepared.  Then when I jump on the air, I can relax because I know I've got a plan.  If something comes up, it's no problem to deviate a bit or add it in, because the original plan is still there to follow and/or fall back on.

I only write all this because I've learned the hard way.  I've realized what it is to be unprepared.  It's an awful feeling, to be stressed and nervous because you're winging it.  Worse is when you get caught for doing it last minute - there's no valid excuse.  It's also quite unprofessional to just fly by the seat of your pants and hope it all comes together.  Sometimes it does, although very often it does not.  And it reminds me of Colossians 3:23, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."  God demands our first fruits, our best.  I don't need to prepare my show and my newscasts only for the sake of sounding good and impressing listeners and my bosses; I need to do it because it pleases God.

Now I'm not saying I've got it all down and I'm ALWAYS prepared and do it all perfectly all the time...that'd be nice.  In truth, it's a continual process for me as I haven't always been like this.  But I've come a long way from where I once was, and it's been a valuable lesson that has proven successful the more I've put it into practice.

And the biggest part about this lesson is that it applies to everything in life.  When we have a responsibility to something, part of that responsibility is being prepared.  If you're a small group leader at your church, do the work ahead of time and be prepared to lead.  If you coach a team, have your drills and equipment ready.  If you call a meeting, have a plan in place.  The more prepared we are, the better a job we can do, and the more pleasing it is to God - who sees not only the end result, but the process by which we got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment